Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Reading the Bible - Genesis 20

This weeks reading of the Bible should have you scratching your head and wondering, where I have seen this before? Well the answer is simple as you have seen this story before, in Genesis 12 to be exact. So once again we will get to see Abraham pretending not to be married to Sarah. The only difference in this story is that we get more interesting details and that we are no longer dealing with a Egyptian Pharaoh, but rather a Gerarian King.
"Abraham repeated concerning his wife Sarah: “She is my sister.” So A·bimʹe·lech king of Geʹrar sent for Sarah and took her."
Naturally, this is the same Abraham that has been saved multiple times by Jehovah, so why he still feels the need to lie is beyond me. Perhaps this is the Bibles way to promote dishonesty as it seems that God really likes to give riches to those who are dishonest.

So then, why did Abraham disown his wife again?
"Abraham said: “It was because I said to myself, ‘Surely there is no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.’"
It seems that he really has zero faith in the God that saved him in Egypt and gave him riches, then saved his brother Lot and gave him more riches, as well as giving him a servant to have sex with. Guess some people are slow learners?

However, here is the kicker. Sarah actually was Abraham's sister, so as in last weeks reading we are back with the incest.
"And besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father but not the daughter of my mother, and she became my wife."
It is for this reason that Abraham apparently had no problem with Sarah saying she is my sister, as it was in fact the truth.
"So when God caused me to wander from the house of my father, I said to her: ‘Let this be how you show loyal love to me: Everywhere we go, say of me, “He is my brother.”’”"
Let me just remind you that this is the guy that God has chosen to become father to his chosen people. I mean really, if this does not allow you to wonder about God and his methods then nothing ever will.


Needless to say Abimelech felt, after being deceived, that he needed to give Abraham a lot of stuff to pay penance for something he never did. Let me reiterate that the king did nothing, it was not his fault.
"A·bimʹe·lech then took sheep and cattle and male and female servants and gave them to Abraham, and he returned his wife Sarah to him."
So we have god blessing Abraham, who acted in a way that would simply be called despicable. Interestingly, Christians are always uppity about their correct views on marriage while there Bible teaches so much more.

I suppose it was a blessing that Abimelech did give all these goods to Abraham, as God had cursed his family for the fact that he did nothing wrong. Luckily God is so just?!?
"And Abraham began to make supplication to the true God, and God healed A·bimʹe·lech and his wife and his slave girls, and they began having children; for Jehovah had made all the women of the house of A·bimʹe·lech barren because of Sarah, Abraham’s wife."

What a man what a role model!

What a just god, what a role model!

Disgusting.

xxxxxxxxxxx
All verses come from the New World Translation Of The Holy Scriptures.
Online version available at the Jehovah's Witnesses official website