Monday, 7 September 2015

There are no Islamic artists

No, this is not me being an Islamaphobe. This is me just telling it like it is after having a discussion with a Muslim, wherein I was trying to get a clear answer as to why it is unacceptable to draw Muhammad. In fact I phrased the question in a far more simpler way as I asked "Does anyone know why do some fundamentalist Muslims condemn the drawing of pictures of Muhammad? I find this interesting as it is clearly not in the Koran." The question in itself is interesting, as I was drawing a clear distinction between fundamentalist and progressive Muslims, however my opponent would not tolerate that and decided to group all Muslims together with his non-answer. Now while it could be argued that my opponent could be fundamentalist it is impossible to escape the answer that he avoided giving, as it encompasses all Muslims. This lends credibility to the view held by many (myself included) that there is no such thing as progressive Islam.

To be clear any prohibitions on drawing Muhammad are not contained in the Koran, but rather in the Hadith. In simple terms, the Hadith are basically the biography of Muhammad. They were written by many of his contemporaries of the day, and as such we should wonder about the accuracy of some of these. Needless to say you have to wonder about the accuracy of the Koran as well. However, if they are taken as gospel fact by Muslims then they are a valid source to criticize.

So the reason behind drawing the Prophet is a lot more complicated than showing disrespect. Actually I am lying, the reason is far more simpler. It is wrong to draw anything in Islam. Yes, with a completely anti-climatic twist the Hadiths explicitly state that art is bad and if you are an artists you will go to hell. Of course you don't have to take my word for it, so here are the Hadiths explaining a simple answer that I could not get from my opponent. The answer to this question was eventually found on Quora, so it was searching for the answer that lead me to the insane conclusion.

Sahih Muslim 2109 b
"Verily, the most grievously tormented people amongst the denizens of Hell on the Day of Resurrection would be the painters of pictures.

Sahih al-Bukhari 7557
Allah's Messenger said, "The painter of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them, Make alive what you have created.' "

Sahih al-Bukhari 3224
"Don't you know that angels do not enter a house wherein there are pictures; and whoever makes a picture will be punished on the Day of Resurrection and will be asked to give life to (what he has created)?"

There you have it Islam is void of any great art and artists according to themselves. Even if some great artists said they were a  Muslim, the simple truth is that they are not as they will go to hell. Sorry Cat Stevens aka Yusuf Islam you are going to hell, luckily its not true.

In closing, I disagree with this as there are beautiful depictions in Islam art as well as architecture. However, according to Islam they are ugly as art is forbidden.

Funny religion, go get the straight jackets.