Wednesday, 5 August 2015

Reading the Bible - The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures

So first off, let me just say during this journey I will be reading the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures supplied by the Jehovah's Witness organization and published by the Watch Tower Society. Here is a picture of the Bible to prove I am not making this up. By the way,I have a reason for this picture its verifiable evidence that I actually have a copy of the Bible and so when I speak to theists and they doubt that I read the Bible I can send them here and show them real evidence. Also, I am super happy about having a hard copy of a Bible as I find hard copies easier to deal with than electronic copies. I think it must be my age showing through.


So why the New World Translation?

Firstly, this is a translation that I have not read and studied before. As such I like the idea that I can tackle a different translation. Additionally, the King James Version is just whacked out and though many fundamentalist believers do use it, it has been shown to be flawed by Biblical scholars. Needless to say you do not need a PhD in theology to see that mentions of Unicorns and Giants probably show there may be some translation errors. Now this is not to say that the New World Translation is flawless, it does certainly have positive reviews. Sure I could have read the New International Version, but I have been there and bought that T-shirt. Additionally,through a friend I received a copy of the New World translation gratis and so if something is gratis I believe it is one of the best reasons to use that copy. Granted I could have obtained a Bible from the Gideon's gratis, but it would have the King James Version and I am tired of Unicorns and language that people just do not use anymore.

Lastly. to end on a fun note, many Christians believe the New World Translation is heresy. Of course this view is held at the exact same time they proclaim that their own Bible translation is the perfect and true word of God. Those same translations that are demonstrably inaccurate and can be shown to be such by any person with the Internet, Google and 5 seconds. Basically, why not teach the controversy?
 

See you next week as we dive into the first course of this adventure.