Wednesday, 14 January 2015

One good reason not to be a feminist

Before I have posted why I think being a feminist is not a good idea for the basic reason that it is an exclusive group. It dies not take much to come to the conclusion that feminism promotes one group over another. So when I came across a book printed by the feministpress, I just had to go take a look at the company who would associate themselves with such a label. Needless to say, what this company provided me with was a perfect reason not to be a feminist and if you are a feminist you need to be able to explain what I am about to share without screaming that I am a misogynist pig.

This company is according to their own words a company "that promotes voices on the margins of dominant culture and publishes feminist works from around the world, inspiring personal transformation and social justice." Now this is a valid statement,so then I have to wonder why the sell a book entitled "Valerie Solanas The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)". First off, I was interested as I respect what Warhol did with his Pop Ar and I wanted to know why someone would want to kill him. In the same way I read a book about Timothy McVeigh as I wanted to understand what drove a person to do something so sick.

This interest died however when I found out this is a biography glorifying a person who attempted to murder Andy Warhol and who according to  Robert Marmorstein on her release from prison, "dedicated the remainder of her life to the avowed purpose of eliminating every single male from the face of the earth."

Here are some passages from the book synopisis on the website. The book "addresses how this era changed the world, and depicts an iconic figure whose life is at once tragic and remarkable." or "Known for shooting Andy Warhol in 1968 and for writing the polemical diatribe SCUM Manifesto, Solanas is one of the most famous women of her era" Does this same theory make Mark Chapmann famous? Surely in fact he would be more famous as he actually killed John Lennon.

I will be upright and say, I have not read the book, but I think this review sums up that it does not focus on why she tried to kill someone. "Rather than focusing on the Warhol shooting, Fahs gives a refreshing degree of weight to not only SCUM Manifesto—and its contribution to the birth of radical feminism"

So, I was wondering? Is this the type of people you want to embrace and aspire to be like? If you answer no, then maybe you don't want to use the label feminist either.

Then again I may just be a misogynist pig who wants to stay alive and not be eliminated by crazies that think like Solanas.