Monday, 5 January 2015

I am surprisingly tolerant

This is probably a post that multiple atheists will feel some relation too. Its also a post that most theists will adamantly disagree with. It's simple really, yet the statement may catch many unawares.

I am very tolerant of theists.

This realization came to me recently after dealing with some religious problems, or should I say problems caused by religions. The truth of the matter is that I did not feel as much anger as I should have felt towards the situation as I thought "this is expected". In effect I was giving this a pass as I expected the religious problem to be idiotic and childish. This is tolerance, why should religious adults be treated different to other adults? Is it just because I know they will do stupid shit?

Do we give other people who make errors on their taxes a pass, even  when they don't know all the rules? Do we allow a drunken driver who killed a pedestrian to walk free, as it was his first time? No, we treat these adults that are acting like idiots and children (no disrespect to children) like adults with full mental capacity. The same should hold for religious idiots that do stupid things in the name of religion, such as killing their children due to beliefs. Or even, if these fools are doing something simple like hurting themselves (i.e praying for money when they could be working) we should be able to criticize them and make them wake up to reality.

I said in the beginning of this post that I am tolerant of theists, I can tell you know that is going to change, or at least I am going to try my darndest.