Friday, 16 January 2015

Chance or Miracle?

The other day something interesting happened. A blogger I read and I gather he reads my blog (otherwise this post would really be a miracle), both highlighted post from our respective blogs on the same day within a few hours of each other. Link and link.

This got me thinking about how this could be interpreted and how these interpretations can be used to show the difference between a skeptic and non-skeptic. As a skeptic their are a multitude of potential answers that one could give to this phenomenon happening, such as pure chance, pre-planned to promote each other, etc.

On the other hand the non skeptic would probably attribute it to a miracle. Which actually coincides well with a post on Christian Fatalism on said bloggers blog recently. So what is a miracle? According to Merriam Webster it is "an unusual or wonderful event that is believed to be caused by the power of God". For me, a miracle really is just another word used to say I don't like randomness so I assign some cause.

The main point to see here is that this was just chance. There was no pre-planning it just happened that way. In life  there are many such situations that occur on a daily basis, the difference is that the skeptic just accepts them as life. In contrast, the irrational mind may attribute it to something beyond our understanding such as a god.