Friday, 5 September 2014

Idiot of the week - Ken Langone

This idiot of the week is a theist, but surprisingly for this segment, that is not the reason he is an idiot.

Ken Langone is a wealthy guy, but apparently he does not like to be reminded of that by the Pope. Or should I say he does not like the way the Pope supports the poor. To him it is as if the Pope caring for less fortunate is a bad thing. Its incredible I am actually defending the Pope in this story. But this story raises an important issue about charitable donations that I have never understood. When you give to charity, you are meant to give because you want to. You are not meant to give because the Church tells you, or you feel the need to justify yourself in front of others (ALS ice bucket challenge?).  If the Pope is making you feel bad and you want to stop giving to charity then you are an idiot.

In fact, why should anyone know you are giving money to charity in the first place? Its charity! Its meant to be altruistic. While in reality we know this is not the case as you always see celebrities etc. giving checks and posing for photos so that we think they are good people. Frankly, I don't care if you give or do not give  money, I don't want to know about it and I don't want you to tell me about it.  However, if the Pope caring for poor people is going to stop you giving money then you are an idiot. Makes me wonder how someone so smart can be so dumb. Then again he is giving to the Republican party...

xxx
BTW the Republican Party jab is intended at the current state of the US Republican party.