Wednesday, 11 June 2014

No one said you can't be a bigot

Recently, I have noticed (online and offline) that people get really upset when you call them a bigot. It probably has something to do with the word bigot having such a negative connotation and that most people do not understand what the world actually means. SO before I continue lets define what a bigot is.
Bigot: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc.

Personally, I do not have a problem with anyone that wants to be a homophobe/racist/feminist/chauvinist etc. As long as you are not acting on these things in your mind by discriminating in the workplace or wherever else you feel the need to be an idiot. It is completely okay to hold any thought you want. Just as you can choose your friends, you can also choose to not have friends of a specific color/sexuality/race etc. All I want to see is a society where people are not discriminated against whether they be rich white males or poor Mexican cotton pickers, yes I am using stereotypes on purpose.

Here are some examples of what I mean. Just in case you are wondering, I never got any reply.
This was on a blog where someone was saying very negative things about Koreans and the fact that they work hard (among others)........yeh apparently thats a bad thing.
"Regarding complaining. I agree it is good to complain, but this was not complaining. This was someone just saying my opinion is right, and all Koreans are wrong. I am better, I am great.
Well done you have shown you are a bigot."

Or this on Charisma news had to do with someone loving Christianity, but saying they do not discriminate they only want their religion to be allowed.
"So you do care about religion.....
You do realize you are making no sense right?
Regardless you have shown that you are a bigot. Congratulations."


Just know that if I think you are being a bigot, I will be sure to let you know. Its your opinion, and I am just giving you mine.

The Internet is a great place to say what you want to say. But when you say it, then be expected to back your claims up or at the least be called out on your claims. Sometimes things are not true just because you want them to be.