Sunday, 11 May 2014

Titles dont mean anything- Appeal to authority

I have a confession to make, and its something I hang my head in shame for. But it was something that needed to be done, and as it relates to positions of authority I thought I would share it.

Recently at work I have added Dr. to my signature for my work e-mails. Its kind of embarrasing as I believe a title is not important as everyone deserves the same respect and should be treated in the same way. However, this is not the way things get done in the heirachy and people respect titles and then they do the work (that they should be doing anyway) when asked. As such to bulldoze the beuracratic crap out of the way of getting anything done I took the plunge and did it.

However, this does not mean I am smarter than anyone. It does not mean everyone should believe me over others. It however is an imperfect analogy of how people fall for the fallacious "appeal to authority" argument.

When someone says something, you should not just believe you should check the facts for yourself. If the priest or the PhD in philosophy says something, it is not true because they have a piece of paper or a pulpit. All it means is that they want you to believe them, as they have think they are correct due to the information they have. This is important also, as some of these people may be intentionally deceiving you for their own financial or other gain.

So next time you see a title don't be impressed. It means nothing.

xxxx

P.S. I am sure some theists will now say, "now I can reject evolution as Dawkins uses an authority position." However, this is not the case as all the facts point to it being true.With or without Dawkins.