Wednesday, 2 April 2014

So I watched Noah - A review

This last weekend I got to watch Noah on the big screen, and as I have mentioned it so many times I thought I would give a review of the movie. I will try not give any spoilers, but then again the Noah story is so well known its pretty difficult not to know the story before you enter the cinema anyway.

There are three distinct aspects to this review, so let me start with cinematography. Generally I thought the CG in the feature was pretty great, so I am not sure how and why they made a colossal screw up on the one green screen section. It looks like the actors are not even in the scene, they are sort of levitating above ground. Its bizarre as it seems to me one of the easier CG sections to film. So beside that horrible CG blunder I was pretty impressed with the cinematography. Acting wise, I cant say it was the best acting I have ever witnessed. However, the cast is strong and so the acting is good enough to not destroy the movie. Regarding the story, major liberties have been taken as would be expected when taking a 5 chapter story and creating a 2 hour feature.

Which brings me to the story line. There are two ways the story goes and its a bit sad really, as the religious will get the feel good factor and the atheist will get their "I told you god is an asshole" factor. I think the religious get spared the reality of the idea of the flood in a way as its blame can be shifted as is done in the Bible. As such, if you want to it is possible to warrant the mass genocide by shifting the blame. You still have to go pretty far with twisting your ideals, but then again most theists do that anyway. On the other hand their are some realities that Christians will have to deal with, like all those animals could not fit inside that boat. Additionally, there was an evolution sequence that most Young Earth and Evolution denying Christians will freak out about, but it in my opinion it did not go far enough.

So here are the two story lines in general.
The God story line is something like this.
God is an asshole. Noah builds an ark. Asshole, asshole, asshole. Flood. Asshole. The end.

The humanistic story line in general is.
Humans are assholes. Noah is an asshole. Ultimately, humans are shown to have better morals than God.

So would I say watch Noah. Yes, as I can see in a few years how the new creation story will be expanded upon with by the extra storyline. In fact I look forward to the day that someone starts mentioning some stupid Noah argument that is based on the movie and not the Bible.

It wont win any Oscars, but it was fun.

Spoiler below
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
EVERYONE DIES ;)