Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Charitable contributions

Recently, I got asked to donate money to a charity. So for the first time in my life I asked the important question that I believe all atheists should ask when donating money. I asked, "Is the charity associated to a religious body?"
(Source)
Its not that I don't want to give money to charity, its that I do not want to give money to a charity that has an agenda. There are charities that give food to the needy that require them to listen to a sermon first. I don't want anyone to listen to rubbish about any god if I am giving money for them to eat. I don't want to give money to a charity that is meant to be helping out in a destitute country when they are encouraging a homophobic or any other agenda.

Some charities do not deserve money from anyone as they are evil. Some charities lack the understanding of giving. Giving means you get nothing back and that's what charities are about. This is why I refuse to give to some charities and I unfortunately paint all religious charities with the same brush as I do not have time to research every charity I get asked to contribute to. There are good religious charities out there but the bad ones spoil it for me.

In closing, sometimes you have just have to be a dick and ask deeper questions about charities. I.e. are the related to any religion.