Wednesday, 9 October 2013

The Hoax Hand of Hope

Note to readers: Decided to post new blogs on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and every second Sunday. Other days if I post it will be either memes or other funnies.
---------------------

I am learning so many things this week, just goes to show knowledge is not a bad thing. This blog post deals with following the facts about a very famous photograph. This is something I do very often and I would recommend using this when in doubt about something. This tale is especially true when you are running low on time.

I came across the following photograph (The Hand of Hope) that was taken during a medical procedure and is used by anti-abortionists as a reason not to abort foetuses. Now this photograph was taken by a photographer Michael Clancy and on his website you can find out that according to him, the baby reached out and grabbed the doctors hand as if to say thank you for saving my life during the operation. Immediately I was dubious of this claim, as as far as I know foetuses at 21 weeks are not all about giving high fives to doctors, so I decided to investigate and this is what happened.

1) I was pressed for time so I typed in the following into Google.

2) Then I clicked on Snopes and found out it was a fraud.  Seriously Snopes is really good at what they do. Here is what the doctor said, whom we have to trust more as it was not the first operation this doctor has ever done. In other words this doctor was a lot more aware of what was going on than a photojournalist.
"The baby did not reach out," Dr Bruner said. "The baby was anesthetized. The baby was not aware of what was going on."
Here are some more links for the doubters. 

See how easy it is to question a belief? I wish more religious people would do this with their own beliefs.

xxxx
Side note the photographer converted to Christianity 3 months before the photo was taken, so clearly he was not easily influenced into seeing God at work during this moment.