Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Random Chats With Believers VIII

The other day I was reading a blog about stupid atheist arguments on the Bitchspot, which got me thinking about a conversation I had with a believer once, using one of these stupid arguments
http://bitchspot.jadedragononline.com/2013/05/10/four-bad-atheist-arguments/

I was at lunch with some friends of mine and the one guy who was there was/is a christian. For some reason, we started speaking about religion and the church. So I aksed the christian guy, what kind of christian he was, and he explianed to me that he was more of the charasmatic kind. Never really understood that label as charismatic means charismaa...which is something I would expect all religions to exhibit as people follow them.

Anyway for some reason this christian asked me what I believe, and as I was in a ludicrous mood. I started explaining to him that I believe in pink invisible unicorns, which are all around us and protect us similar to his angels. I then elaborated that when you die, the unicrons shove their horn up your ass to release you spirit.

After all this story to laughter by the other assembled people, he turned to me and says "I respect your belief." I was taken aback, so I told him "please don't as I was just kidding." So he asked me what I believed in... and I surely (maybe not) no longer surprised him when I said "I am an Atheist"

What surprises me was that he was prepared to accept my ridiculous beliefs.This is good in that it shows tolerance, but bad in that he was ready to accept anything I told him. My guess is this is one of the reasons that he is involved with religion, as he really is a good person and cannot accept that someone would lie to him.

For another random talk
http://iamchristianiamanatheist.blogspot.kr/2013/03/random-chats-with-believers-vii.html