Thursday, 23 May 2013

Is morality an atheist issue

I have been reading a lot of blogs lately that deal with morality, and I think there is nothing wrong with discussing morality in a forum. However, I am faced with a dilemma and that is simply, is morality actually a issue for atheism, and the simple answer is no it is not. As gets pointed out on every atheist blog and every comment section on theist blogs (as a correction), atheism is the rejection of a belief in a deity.

I think this is a very important issue to address, as morality can be approached from so many ways i.e. subjective, objective, deistic, social etc etc etc. But very importantly, morality does not address the question of if there is a god! I will happily debate morality with anyone at anytime, but these people involved in these debates should realise at the outset that I am not taking this as proof for anything, I am just discussing how our morality actually developed.

Personally, I believe that morality came from social development and this determined what morals where good for society.I believe that religious texts where written as a moral code that was relevant at the time, although its very clear that it is outdated and is not beneficial to society at present. It is for the same reason that I don't think people will say "Mein Kampf" is a good philosophy, even though at the time there were people who thought it was the way froward for the German population.

 A simple example of an outdated moral is the one that sex before marriage is a bad thing. In the past, if one had sex before marriage, you could have had a pregnancy very easily and I guess this is one of the reasons people got married so young back then. Nowadays, with readily available contraception it is very easy for you to have sex before marriage and not get pregnant.

Now I have pointed out why morality discussions are interesting, what have I actually proved with respect to atheism? Nothing!

This is for me a simple reason why morality is not an atheistic issue, as it does not prove anything about the existence or non-existence of a god.