Saturday, 1 December 2012

Losing my religion I


I like to think of myself as a rational being, and so I have this idea in my head that due to this rationality I would have left any religion be it Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, or any of the other thousands of liked minded sects/cults/mainstream religions.

So the first thing that happened in my deconversion (interesting use of the word supplied by Rich Lyons  http://livingafterfaith.blogspot.kr) was that I actually took the holy Bible/book and read it. It was entertaining to read from cover to cover, I have to admit this. However the fun did not come from righteousness and moral values, it came from all the crazy junk that exists in there like.

Thanks to the people at http://skepticsannotatedbible.com or if you don't trust the skeptics http://www.biblegateway.com/

Don't eat shellfish (Leviticus 11:9-12)
These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you: They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Murder your wife if she is an adulterer. (Deuteronomy 22:22) (at least this time its not only the lady getting murdered)
If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel.

Gays should die. (Romans 1:26-32)
1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

So an actual reading of the bible is what put me in a position where I said to myself, “This can't be real, its like some fiction like Catcher in the Rye or Catch 22!” However I was not ready to give it all up yet, the existence of a god that is, at that point I was at least done with my childhood slave master a.k.a. The good Christian church in which I grew up.

So the next step was to find out who is the true god, as clearly the god of the bible was a very sick, megalomaniac, homophobic, totalitarian, egotistical tyrant.